Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Google flirting with Code 128 barcodes ?


The Google search page is showing a 1 D barcode (Code 128 font) on the search page instead of the logo. Wonder whats the reasoning behind it... I wouldn't have been surprised to see a 2 dimensional QR code to allow a user to repeat the same search on their mobile phone but the use of a 1D font is intriguing to say the least. I wonder what could be the data encoded in the barcode.... from the looks of it .. shouldn't be more than 8-12 chars given the high density of the code 128 font.

Update:
The barcode has "Google" encoded inside it and the logo has been changed to celebrate the 57th anniversary of the first barcode patent. More...

1 comment:

  1. Great in sequence! There is something wonderful about "Google flirting with Code 128 barcodes ?". I am fearful by the excellence of information on this website.
    I think, The presence of barcode is important if you would like to sell the products you have produced at your manufacture.
    I am sure I will visit this place another time soon, to know about code 128.

    ReplyDelete