Wednesday, November 03, 2004

BREWDO

Been assigned to a new project these days. Its a application to be built for the BREW(Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless) platform. Finished the handset client design yesterday. I am sure there will be a lot of changes in that design once the app nears completion but for now I am pretty happy with the design. The only thing left is building the application.

I have been playing around a bit with BREW now and then but have never sat down and actually coded anything meaningful. The fact that kinda turns me off from BREW is the amount of control that Qualcomm has on the development process.


First you need to have access to the developer extranet to get any meaningful documents. The book that i have hasnt been very helpful at all(yet). The best resource for learning to code for the BREW platform is the SDK documentation. The interface names are inituitive so its pretty easy to figure out which interface you might need to accomplish the task.





Using Visual Studio .NET as the development environment is a big help. I have always loved working in that IDE. The other thing that kinda bothers me about BREW is that there is no documentation on the internal working of the platform. Symbian so good in this regard. I am still finding my feet in BREW but soon once i have written a couple of programs and played around with a couple of interfaces I would like to know how best to optimize my code. Couldnt find any document on Qualcomm's website.

I have no complains about the documentation that is provided. To a novice developer it is very useful. What is missing is documentation by thord parties on these topices. J2ME remains my favourite subset to develop apps for mobile devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment